For as much as I like to cook, I hate the clean up that needs to happen after I am done. We are talking bomb went off. I make such a mess or at least it looks that way because my kitchen is small. Yep, I am going to stick to this theory until we move and I can test it in a bigger kitchen. Back to this recipe. Thankfully, with this recipe, everything was done on one pan, yes I said ONE PAN. I so love when that happens. This was a delicious meal, no frills or fuss, full of flavor and incredibly healthy. It's homemade in a hurry at it's finest. Here's how I did it:
One Pan Roast Chicken with Summer Vegetables:
1 organic, free range whole chicken
2 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp pepper, divided
1/2 organic red onion
1/2 lb (about 8-10) organic brussels sprouts
2 tbsp organic fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 tbsp organic olive oil, divided
1 tsp organic rosemary, finely minced
4 cloves organic garlic, flattened with a knife and left whole
3 slices organic, uncured bacon, chopped
1. Divide your chicken into 8 pieces and season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. If you are not comfortable with separating your chicken, you can ask your butcher to do it. You could also use chicken breasts, or thighs, or both. I recommend bone-in, skin-on based off the length of time the dish will be in the oven.
2. Prepare your vegetables. For the radishes you will want to either quarter them or halve them depending on how big they are. The red onions should be cut into large chunks. The brussels sprouts should be halved.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Add the lemon juice, 1 tbsp of the olive oil, rosemary, and the garlic to a measuring cup and whisk with a fork to combine.
4. Add the vegetables to a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle them with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Toss with your hands to make sure everything is coated.
5. Using a pair of tongs, place each piece of chicken on the baking sheet, making sure it is touching the bottom of the pan, not laying on the veggies. Just kind of move things around to get all the pieces on, as pictured above. Pour the lemon juice/olive oil dressing over the chicken.
6. Sprinkle the diced bacon all over the top and place in the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is golden and the vegetables have caramelized as seen above. Serve immediately. Enjoy!!